Skip to main content

Portland Township, Ionia County, Michigan

Home  Township Board   Planning/Zoning   Assessing   Township Ordinances   Contact Us   Site Map    
Boards/Commissions  > Newsletter  > Location  >  

Welcome to Portland Township

Township Calendar


Portland Township Board Meetings

Regular:  March 22, 2017 6:00 p.m. followed by the Budget Mtg.

Annual Mtg.   March 29, 2017 6:00 p.m. followed by the April Mtg.  (no meeting in April )



All meetings will be at the Portland Township Hall

located at 773 E Grand River Ave, Portland


Portland Township Planning Commission Next Meeting:


June 7, 2017


All meetings will be at the Portland Township Hall

located at 773 E Grand River Ave, Portland


Portland Township ZBA Meeting


Meets only as Applications are Received

All meetings will be at the Portland Township Hall



Pending Applications:





Public Notices

 Notice of Adopted Amendments to the Land Division Ordinance

Land Division Ordinance Amendment Document

New Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) procedures go in effect on July 1, 2015.  There are 4 related documents that the Township Board adopted which are listed below.


FOIA Adopted Resolution of Policy and Procedure

FOIA Policy and Procedures

FOIA Summary of Guidelines

FOIA Itemization Cost Sheet










The Township has hired a new Assessor (October 1, 2016).  Click on Assessing at the top of the page for contact information.

Portland Ambulance Emergency Care Plan Information and Application

New Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) procedures go in effect on July 1, 2015. See Public Notices above for details.






Burn Permits

Portland Township residents need to obtain a burn permit before burning specific items.  You can obtain the permit application and regulations by clicking on the link below.


Burning Permit Application and Regulations


For more general information on the Portland Area Fire Authority website click:    Fire Department 


John A. Baker, Chief

Portland Area Fire Authority

773 East Grand River Ave.

Portland, MI 48875


Fire Chief 517-647-2950




If in doubt, you should ask if you can burn certain types of items.  Some household items may be burned within a metal barrel with a spark arresting cover.


Portland Township Quick Facts


Portland Township quick facts



Portland Township
Pause Stop Previous Next View full-sized photos

Township Recycling Services


Portland Township has approved participation in the Portland City’s fixed station recycling program. 

The station is located at 451 Morse Dr. which is east of Water St (coming from the north on Lyons Rd, at the City limits, it turns into Water St, then turn left/east on Morse 1/8 mile to the station) or (coming from the south, turn north off E Grand River Ave onto Water St, then to Morse Dr, turn right/east and continue 1/8 mile to the station).

The station is open during the following DPW hours:  Monday – Friday from 7:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. and the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month from 8:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.

The following recyclable materials are accepted:  Magazines, corrugated cardboard, clear glass, tin cans and aluminum, #1 Pete Plastic, #2 HDPE colored bottles and jugs and #2 HDPE milk jugs.  Please place your materials in the appropriate compartment.  




Property Taxes

Winter property taxes were due 2-14-17.  A 3% penalty will be applied on 2-15-17 on unpaid summer and winter taxes.  These taxes are paid to Portland Township  Treasurer.  On 3-1-17 you must pay your taxes to the Ionia County Treasurer.

Tax payments should be mailed to 5481 Divine Highway, Portland, MI  48875.  A drop box is also available at this location.

If you owe delinquent taxes, these are handled by the Ionia County Treasurer. You can contact her at 616-527-5329.  Please check and click on 'online services' to find your payoff amount.

You can also contact Leanne at 517-647-2075 for payoff amounts.

 If you owe Portland Township for PERSONAL PROPERTY TAXES,  these taxes are always paid to the Township (your tax parcel number will start with either 34-140-898 or 34-140-900).

Information on your taxable value, assessed value or homestead exemption (PRE) should be directed to the Portland Township Assessor at 517-641-8900 or email:

 You can also call the  Ionia County Treasurer for tax information at 616-527-5329

Personal Property Taxes on Leased Land

If you live in a mobile home park (such as Sunset Ridge) you may receive a tax bill. This bill is for improvements on leased land which are assessable as personal property.  Examples of these improvements are sheds, garages, carports, decks, etc.  These taxes are your responsibility and are not the responsibility of Sun Communities. This is your personal property so Sun Communities would not be responsible for it. Failure to pay these tax bills allows the Township to put a lien on this personal property and in some cases, remove it from the property. For more information from the State of Michigan click the link below or contact the Township Assessor.